This course aims to help you develop your understanding of the processes behind discrimination, to build on your knowledge and skills and thus support you on your journey to become more inclusive and influence the culture of your organisation in the same way.
Most of the times, we do not aim to discriminate, and most of what is behind our behaviours is not easy to perceive in a conscious way. With this course, we intend to make these processes conscious and thus reduce their influence on the decisions we make every day.
– Reflect about the Diversity and Inclusion values underlying the European Diversity Charters
– Promote understanding of the basic concepts of the Charter: diversity, inclusion, stereotypes, prejudice, unconscious bias, micro-messages and the discrimination chain
– Promote the development of diversity and inclusion practices and policies inside organizations
Although not always possible, we believe that these learning objectives are best achieved by using a Blended Learning approach, which means offering access to these informative and reflective video lessons (90 minutes) but also to a face-to-face session (from 3 hours up to 7 hours). The face-to-face session will allow participants to experience some of the concepts learned in the video lessons, ask questions to an experienced facilitator and deepen your reflection about them. These sessions will also promote networking and interaction with people from different organisations and/or between people from your organisation that share the same purpose. With that in mind we offer a facilitator guide upon request.
How to navigate through this course?
- Start by answering our entry quiz. It is a short questionnaire with multiple choice questions that will get you started! It does not aim to evaluate; it is just to get you in the mood 🙂
- Watch the video lessons one at a time. For each you will find a final quiz and optional additional materials and resources (“materials” folder) that you can use to deepen your knowledge and reinforce your learnings. Take your time! You can do it at your own pace.
- The final module (6) will leave you the main tips and advice to continue your journey!
- You can go back and watch all videos as many times as you wish! If you have questions, you can ask them to your local facilitator that can clarify them.
We hope this course allows you to start or continue your journey to become more inclusive. The more we know, the more we realise we need to keep learning. We advise you to check the additional materials, exercises and resources for further exploration. As referred, you can find them in each module in the “materials” folder, and on the landing page at the “references” folder. These exercises and additional materials are not obligatory to advance in the course but they help you gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.
We wish you a wonderful journey!
The course is free of charge, but we will only make it available for professionals that aim to use it with a group of people from one or several organisations. It is in English, but also available with subtitles in Portuguese, Estonian and Polish. Audio description will also be available soon.
If you wish to be a facilitator and start your own class to take this course, we also provide a facilitator guide with guidelines to use the platform and a session plan for the face-to-face session. Contact us using the following contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course was developed by the Diversity@Work project, co-founded by the European Commission. For more information, visit our website at: www.diversity-work.eu
The content of this course represents the views of the authors only and is their sole responsibility. The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.